It's Over What's happening with the sites?

RegisterUserName

๐ŸŒ‘๐ŸŒ’๐ŸŒ“๐ŸŒ”๐ŸŒ•
Administrator
There have been DDOS attacks against all incel sites which I visit, including .is, weebs.fun; I tried to visit rgif and blackpoll.is to no avail. I'm pretty worried and there haven't been answers from admins over at .is apart from "maintenance", which I'm not sure I believe. Have you heard any info?

Leucosticte

Hebephebophilic ใƒฌใ‚คใƒ—cel
Administrator
There have been DDOS attacks against all incel sites which I visit, including .is, weebs.fun; I tried to visit rgif and blackpoll.is to no avail. I'm pretty worried and there haven't been answers from admins over at .is apart from "maintenance", which I'm not sure I believe. Have you heard any info?
I think that @feminismiscancer is going to take a look at the logs and try to figure out what was going on, but the symptoms were pretty similar to what was going on back in December when we had similar outages. Not sure if it had the same cause as what brought Sarge's sites down or if that was just a coincidence; I suspect the latter.

SuperCheatBros

Youngcel Mod, Assistant Director, Black KCHHV
Janitor
The same happened to me, I tried using VPNs and everything.

feminismiscancer

Weeb
Staff member
Administrator
Mod
Mod
I've had another outage since that fix.
There does seem to be a problem with IPv4 connectivity but not IPv6.
A DDOS that targets IPv4 is not totally out of the question but I couldn't find evidence so far.

feminismiscancer

Weeb
Staff member
Administrator
Mod
Mod
The 403 Forbidden (Nginx) ones are not the server but the bitmitigate DDOS protection. The free service is really not as good as CloudFlare. it's intermittent so if you reload a few times it goes away.

Leucosticte

Administrator
The 403 Forbidden (Nginx) ones are not the server but the bitmitigate DDOS protection. The free service is really not as good as CloudFlare. it's intermittent so if you reload a few times it goes away.
I think sometimes it takes some minutes to go away though. We have so much downtime with this that right now, with as few users as we have, and being as low-profile as we are, if I had to do it over, I'd say, "Let's not install BitMitigate."

feminismiscancer

Weeb
Staff member
Administrator
Mod
Mod
I think sometimes it takes some minutes to go away though. We have so much downtime with this that right now, with as few users as we have, and being as low-profile as we are, if I had to do it over, I'd say, "Let's not install BitMitigate."
So you want to remove it?

Leucosticte

Administrator
So you want to remove it?
I want to find a way to fix it, and/or figure out what we need to upgrade to. Maybe we do end up having to pay an extra $15/month or something; it wouldn't surprise me. Free speech isn't cheap.

At the end of the day, we gotta decide, are we willing to pay what it takes to be able to speak freely, or do we give up? A lot of incel sites drift along, trying to take a middle ground, till they get attacked and fold. Or like the old Truecels.org, they just have chronic technical issues due to lack of money to fix them, and it kills their userbase.

It's really easy to set up a new forum, but keeping it going can be harder and more expensive.

Leucosticte

Administrator
The fuck are they doing.
What the fuck does maintanence mean?
Unless they're physically moving some servers, I don't see why they'd be able to say "oh, it's gonna be about 36 hours".